And So It Begins...

This is my forum for all the nouns that life has to offer!

Monday, December 25, 2006

A Quiet Brooklyn Christmas

As a kid, Christmas was the time of the year that I relished in; for me it was all about snow days and winter break. I can remember getting into my neighbor’s car and having her drive us kids (her own children and my brother and me) around to the Mill Basin section of Brooklyn to see the houses that were adorned with lights and lawn decorations. But the true light of Christmas emanates from the houses that were filled with love and that was completely the spirit that was my mother’s house this Christmas.

The greatest gift I had on Christmas was the woman I call mother. It seems for as long as I can remember, she would work on the holidays to bring home a little extra money to be spent on our home and on our family. And although I understood her need for a few extra pennies in her paycheck, I couldn’t help but feel like we were being robbed of valuable family time. So this Christmas, I insisted that she take the day off and spend it with her family as I know her client and his family are sure to survive one day without her. I got a call from her at approximately 9:23 a.m. this morning telling me to get up, shower and get my butt over to her house to help with the Christmas preparations. It is a moment of sheer awe every time I see it; watching my mother whip up all her culinary delights –- baked macaroni and cheese, rice and peas, sautéed veggies, candied yams, potato salad, stuffed turkey wings, baked ziti -- a virtual cornucopia of edible ecstasy!! We cooked; we cleaned and prepared the house for the onslaught of family. Two of my mother’s four sisters and their children, her neighbor and her family, along with my two brothers came by to share in the noise and joys of the season.

After blessing the Christmas table we all sat and commenced to eating, drinking and being merry! And it was after dinner and while having dessert, that my mother quieted the family and began the ritual of giving out the gifts –- the part of the evening I’m sure the kids enjoyed the most. It was my job, besides clearing away the dishes and preparing take away plates for the guests, to cheer on everyone as they opened their gifts. After the frenzy of ripping plastic and opening boxes, there were sweaters, Barbie dolls and crystal ware to be found among the mounds of shredded wrapping paper. It was at that point that Natalie, my mother’s neighbor, reached under the tree for one last gift and handed it to me. “L, this one’s for you!” “A gift for me? I had no idea!” It was a wonderful surprise that I hadn’t been expecting. And before I even opened the gift, I crawled over to my mom (as I was on the floor with all the kids) and gave her a kiss, thanking her. I was at this point that I recruited my cousin’s daughter Khalia to help in opening my gift. We ripped away the wrapping paper and to my surprise and astonishment; it was a digital camera that I had been eyeing and raving about for months! My reaction was startling – even to me! Picture me, doing this! I was so excited and happy that I think I scared the little ones! LOL!

This is my new Sony DSC-W70 Cyber-Shot digital camera (taken with my now ancient Fuji FinePix digital camera) and I am so excited to open myself up to yet another branch of creativity! The picture above was actually the inaugural photo, taken mere moments after taking the camera out of the box! Its a bit blurry, but I kinda like it!

Needless to say, it was a wonderfully quiet Christmas that I shared with my family and here's to hoping that you all -- my Blogger family -- enjoyed the same fortune. Merry Christmas everyone!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home