And So It Begins...

This is my forum for all the nouns that life has to offer!

Sunday, June 10, 2007

The Nightly Ritual - Unwrapped


Combing it up
Wrapping it around
Pattin' my head
And tying it down
This is the nightly ritual...

Taking good care to secure it at night
So that in the waking hours my shit will be tight
The glories that are my tresses are found in the nightly ritual...
It is part of us -- the female identity. We see it as beauty, whether it be: a perm, a wig, a weave, dreadlocks or free flowing naps. We embrace it as we embrace ourselves showing proper love by swaddling it in silk or cotton and even stocking caps -- by performing the nightly ritual...

India.Arie empowered us when she shouted "I Am Not My Hair"...Most of us know that there is more to it than our tracks and bobby pins or glue But admit it y'all, you know with the hours we spend getting washed, coiffed and sitting under dryers, the ultimate reward -- is that bangin' 'do!

So it can be disconcerting and down right cruel...When I find that the nature of gravity has broken the rules. Waking up to find my scarf is either on the pillow next to me, in between my sheets or even under my bed…It's in my night’s tossing and turning that it found its way somewhere else besides my head…

The beauty I fawned over in the stylist chair is no longer on tap...As I discovered that it was sometime during my rest I had become completely unwrapped.

-- LHB 2007

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger aaryn b. said...

OMG. I love this!
Not that I would know the full extent but I'm getting my own exposure to it and I get what you're saying. I want to print this out and save it for my girl.

June 22, 2007 2:03 AM  
Blogger Leepak Hope-ra said...

@Aaryn: Wow! I'm honored that you loved my poem! And you are more than welcome to save this for Rubi-licious! Thanks so much for stopping by! :o)

June 22, 2007 8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home