And So It Begins...

This is my forum for all the nouns that life has to offer!

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Child's Play


Walking through my day today I saw children being themselves in every incarnation. In seeing these children, I found myself thinking of them and wondering about their thoughts –- the thoughts that they may have from day to day. I find that the greatest accomplishment of a child is to be happy –- to take joy in the little things. But are the kids of today on the right track?

While heading to court and running an “adult” errand, I saw a little girl who was walking a few steps away from the courthouse with two older women. And I watched her as she briefly broke away from them to let out a great big yell and chase away a small group of pigeons who congregated near the steps. I then saw children playing in City Hall Park –- running around and laughing with every step. I couldn’t help but envy them –- envy the place they were in their lives, where they themselves were as monumental as the next game of Double Dutch or Freeze Tag that they played. But that is not to say that everything seen in a child’s life is brightly colored and happy.

The children of today are being forced into some social and political perils that they don’t deserve. There’s the war that our country is fighting right now. Two thousand eight hundred and sixteen men and women have died in this war thus far. I’m still not sure of why parents continue to bury their children over this war. Why mothers are having to explain to their children why their daddies may not be coming home. I can’t help but ponder the question: whose war is this anyway? There’s the onslaught of media to the masses, also known as media overload. This is an overload, in my opinion, that is pushed in the face of women and more specifically to little girls. Why do so many little girls believe that if they don’t wear the latest fashions or have “model” bodies, that they are not worth getting to know? Even as a grown woman, I find myself questioning things about myself because of images that I’ve seen on television or in magazines. I have a grasp on my thoughts with regards to these things. I am worth more than what the “idiot box” tells me. But these girls may not have the full comprehension to see past what is in front of them.


Children need to know that this is the best time of their lives, despite what the world suggests their worries should be. This time in their lives need to be cherished and walked through slowly (sort of like a fine wine -- these bouquets are to get better as they age). They need to just enjoy being the engaging little people that they are. I often wish that I could go back to being a kid…go back to running around and having a life that is dictated by friendships, games and sweet treats. I wish that all children looked as innocent as Ruby, a cute little girl I encountered on Flickr. The hope is that all children stay as sweet as she for as long as possible. Children are our greatest resource. They are the ones from whom we should learn many lessons.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home