And So It Begins...

This is my forum for all the nouns that life has to offer!

Friday, October 27, 2006

Next Stop On This Train...Reverence!


The Number Four train's version of a Holy Roller...Yikes!!!


It has been said that New Yorkers are some of the most jaded people around. I guess that can be attributed to the fact that as New Yorkers, we've either seen or heard it all. But there was something I woke up to this morning that I didn't at all expect.

I stood amongst the herd of people cramped into the number four train. All of us trying to get to our respective destinations be it work or school. And as I'd previously observed in Is It Just Me?, people are often lost in their own world of thought while riding New York City's subways. These observations are most clear during the morning hours. All we ever really think about, besides traveling in a train car that doesn't have the distinctive bouquet known to all New Yorkers as the Parfum De Homelessness or getting a seat that isn't stained with gum, soda or some bodily fluid, is getting to our destinations. We are rarely transfixed by any of the goings on around us.

But at 9:30 this morning, I sat forced to listen to the screams of one woman and the fervent ramblings of another. “Hallelujah! Praise the Lord Jesus right now – Ha!!” “Let us all give thanks on this train this morning – Ha!!” “Jesus is your only salvation to get into the gates of heaven – Ha!!” *sigh*

Now don't get me wrong. I'm all for appreciating the word of God (or Allah, Jehovah, Elohim, Jah, Krishan or whatever one may be comfortable in calling this Spirit), but do I have to hear about it while still groggy with sleep or whilst still awaiting my first cup of coffee? It was yet another observation I made while living in this ever changing nerve center. Here's to hoping aliens don't pay a visit to the Starbuck's down the street from my office tomorrow. But this is New York, so I guess I should prepare myself for anything.

1 Comments:

Blogger deo said...

can i get an 'AMEN'- HA!
YES - HA!

what a moment!

November 06, 2006 10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home