And So It Begins...

This is my forum for all the nouns that life has to offer!

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

School Days


I was on my way into work this morning when I saw a woman crossing the street with her little girl. The little girl was dressed in her school uniform (blue plaid skirt and vest with a crisp white shirt) with her pink Barbie book bag on her back holding her mother’s hand and just plodding along. She saw me looking at her, gave me a bit of a sheepish look and yawned. I looked at her and thought, “She doesn’t look excited or happy at all.” I’m sure for the past week her mother had been whining her off of late nights (I remember going to bed no later than 9 o’clock on a school night. The weekends? Now that’s an entirely different thing!) and may have even been giving her “practice homework” so that doing homework wouldn’t be too overwhelming for her once school starts.

I remember being so excited in the days leading up to the first day of school. Along with wondering who from last year was going to be in my class this year, I loved the idea of school shopping (for new supplies and new clothes!) It was the one time of year when your mother would (for the most part) give in to your choices, instead of hearing the proverbial mother mantra: “When we get the store…don’t ask me for anything!!” There was the excitement in the opportunity to make friends and to open one’s mind to learning. Educating yourself is the best way I believe to educate your children. It’s the opportunity to indelibly place your mark on the world. How wonderful it is to give your child the gift of education. Their eyes will not only twinkle when they have that moment when they’ve learned something new. The twinkle will continue when they give that something that they know to someone else.


So, although she may have looked worn and tired in those early morning hours, I know most certainly that the little girl with the pink Barbie book bag left school today with a twinkle in her eye that her mother will be most pleased to see.

2 Comments:

Blogger Organized Noise said...

Ah. The first day of school. There wasn't much excitment there. In elementary school I had the same people in my class every year. All the first day of school meant to me was that I was finally around enough guys to play a decent game of baseball, and around enough girls to try to hit a home run every time I was up.

September 06, 2006 11:30 PM  
Blogger Miki said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I believe as you do that "school" in its purest form is "learning." Education, is not only school, but life. If I learn something new each day, I have been educated. I graduated from high school and from college. I worked for many years with developmentally disabled adults, and up until I left my job, I vowed to learn something each and every day from those individuals whom I worked with. I did. I still learn, from my daughter now, from my two sons. They teach me things, and they remind me that wonder, or the twinkle as you put it is still there. Thanks for sharing. Love the first day photo, unfortunately, I don't think I have any of me, my mom wasn't there to put on the bus, she was a working mom, when it wasn't fashionable. but that is a blog story.

September 07, 2006 6:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home