And So It Begins...

This is my forum for all the nouns that life has to offer!

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Ready...Set...Job Hunt!

I woke up this morning with a great deal of optimism. For one, I allowed myself the day off. It’s the first I’ve had in a long time and also because I’ve taken yet another pro-active step in my pursuit for some semblance of peace. I took the advice of a co-worker, printed out some resumes and headed to a women’s oriented job fair. I was actually excited about the notion of selling myself to a prospective employer. I’ve been in the trenches for so long now, that the idea doesn’t scare me so much anymore (this is not to say that I am a fan of the job interview – let it be known – I am NOT a fan, but it is a necessary evil that I don’t allow to overwhelm me as it once did).

So I donned my best suit and headed out the door! I have to say – I love the looks I get when I’m in my job hunting/interviewing best. The women stare admiringly and/or respectfully. And the men…well the men make this nerdy girl’s day. All I can say is: I bet your local librarian never looked this good! HA!!

And on my way to the train station I ran into my cousin R – he looks the same as he did the last time I saw him. Disheveled but smiling. We all have those unfortunate but endearing relatives that we love but try to keep an acceptable distance from (Don’t front y’all, I know I’m not the only one! We all have that Old Uncle Smoke-Eye or Cousin Alice that we love and hope are well, but don’t necessarily expect to see at the next family reunion)!

I arrive on the scene and my immediate thought is “Wow! There are these many women out there desperate for work?!” The line in front of the New Yorker Hotel literally snaked around the block. Women (and a couple of brave men) of all ethnic and professional backgrounds seemed to have shown up. There were accountants, financial planners, real estate agents, etc. The dress code for some of the women spoke more to the weather than to the fact that they were presenting themselves to prospective employers. Some women wore what can only be called their interview or even Sunday best, while others just decided to wing it! Strappy sandals, mini skirts and tank tops. “And now ladies and gentlemen – the swimsuit competition!” After what seemed like an eternal wait in the intense heat…the line began to move. Once I got upstairs to the ballroom and saw that there were only a small variety of companies I was disappointed. But I decided that I would give it the ole’ John Jay College try. I stood on the lines to interview with the companies that were of interest to me. There weren’t many. The fair was to end at three, but I left an hour or so early. Part of me felt like I was hoodwinked…bamboozled…lead astray. This is a job fair?! What ever happened to the refreshments…or the complimentary pen and pencil set? But I had to make the best of the only sick day (*HACK* *COUGH* *WHEEZE*) that I had left. So I called some of the temp agencies I had previous assignments with and reconnected with some old contacts. At that point, I began to feel better about what I had done with my day.

At this point, hunger was beginning to set in. So I went from the west side to the east side on the search for food. It’s been so long since I’ve been anywhere near midtown. I felt almost like a tourist. I didn’t see the Naked Cowboy. But I did run into a happy apple. As it turns out it was just some guy in a costume. I thought how silly this guy looked…waving to people while dressed in an apple costume. But I ultimately had to tip him and give him his due (he was standing out in the sweltering heat dressed like a fruit!!!) as he was not the only one standing around in his “money maker” – dude, I can totally relate!


Here he is folks: The Happy Apple!

After getting a BLT wrap and a Mystic drink from a deli in the area, I began to walk. I never understood what it was to walk around in a dark suit on a hot summer day until I had to do it myself. I now have a new found respect for the men and women I see in suits. Bravo! I ended up in Bryant Park. It’s like having a touch of Paris, with its lush gardens and perennial splashes, right in the middle of Manhattan! So I pulled up a green garden chair and fell into the flow of the city…happily becoming engrossed in a magazine.


New York's Bryant Park

Later, I met up with my friend Deo, who can only be described as a New Age flower child walking to the beat of his own drum. I've even been known to refer to him as the Little Drummer Boy on occasion (he actually stands at an extenuated six feet even). We walk, we talk, we laugh, and we catch up on the musings of our day with an iced-coffee becoming the highlight of the late afternoon. And after blocks and blocks of that (there was no time for bowling or a movie), we hop on the train and head home.

And I finally made it home in time to take my driving lesson. I can almost picture my success there. But I’d have to say that in spite of the ups and downs, today was a good day. Here’s to hoping there are more and more of these good days.

2 Comments:

Blogger Shawn said...

that happy apple is hilarious

August 21, 2006 10:31 AM  
Blogger Leepak Hope-ra said...

@shawn: Looked happy. The dude inside the apple...not so much! LOL

August 21, 2006 12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home